Deadline: Friday, January 8, 2021
Are you a Mimico resident who is passionate about local issues? Are you looking for an opportunity to engage with other Mimico residents and contribute to projects that will improve our community? The Mimico Residents Association (MRA) is seeking engaged, committed, and enthusiastic volunteers to join the Board of Directors.
The MRA is dedicated to improving Mimico by planning and supporting activities that enhance the quality of life in our community, and communicating with Mimico residents to promote awareness of local events and relevant issues. Learn more about the work of the MRA by visiting www.mimicoresidents.ca or connect with us on Facebook.
If you embody one or more of the following characteristics, please consider submitting an application:
- You bring a unique perspective to the MRA Board such as through gender or gender identity, race/ethnicity, immigration status, age, housing status (e.g. a renters, co-op/ community housing residents, etc.) or other experience that will bring diverse perspectives to the Board.
- You have an understanding, interest, background or willingness to learn on policy development, government relations, infrastructure planning and development, funding applications, and/or legislation.
- You have demonstrated experience and/or interest in supporting successful community events, fundraising events and promotions.
- You are a skilled communicator, through social media, written, or face-to-face.
- You are an energetic self-starter, with the availability and commitment to helping the MRA meet its objectives for the 2021/2022 term.
Responsibilities of MRA Board members include:
- Attendance and active participation in monthly Board meetings (held in the evenings, September to June, with optional meetings in the summer),
- Engagement in issues and events of relevance to Mimico,
- Helping to plan and volunteer at events planned by the MRA or our local partners (when we are allowed to have events again: Halloween Dance, Party in the Park, Waterfront Cleanup, and virtually: discussions with local representatives at the federal, provincial and municipal levels)
- Building and maintaining connections in the community, and staying informed about issues relevant to Mimico; and
- Other ongoing duties as required.
Applications will be accepted until Friday, January 8, 2021 and vetted by the Board. Selected candidates must be available to attend an information session and virtual interview on the evening of Wednesday, January 13, 2021 with current board members and successful individuals will be invited to join a Board of Directors meeting on January 20, 2021 and would then be officially confirmed at our Annual General Meeting in March 2021. The commitment is for a minimum one year term.
To be eligible for a seat on the Board of Directors, an individual must:
- Be at least 18 years of age,
- Be or become a member of the Mimico Residents Association in good standing, and
- Live within the boundaries of the Mimico community (see map).
To apply, please fill out the application here. Please highlight the skills and experience you would bring to the Board, and identify some of issues relevant to Mimico that you are most passionate about.
If you require accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code to apply for this position, please email us at email@example.com. The MRA is committed to providing accommodation throughout this selection process.